Lisbonne La gare de Cintra [Lisbon Sintra Train Station]
Late 19th century?
The construction of Rossio Central Train Station, according to the Neo-Manueline plans of architect José Luís Monteiro (1848-1942), was carried out in conjunction with the construction of the Hotel Avenida Palace, which connected to the station, and workers’ accommodation, as well as the boring of a subterranean tunnel around 2,600 m long, which linked the station to Campolide.
Despite its revivalist façade, the interior was notable for its modernity, with lifts, a construction structured on different platforms to overcome the slope of the ground and the use of cast iron architecture in the spacious main hall. The spatial organisation was geared towards areas with different functions: ticket office, waiting room, customs and the Fiscal Guard, a waiting area exclusively for the use of the royal family and sanitary facilities, kitchens and rooms for workers.
© Museu de Lisboa